SUMMARY: The Mobile Service Technician performs skilled work in maintaining automotive, medium, and heavy-duty trucks, to include all Fire Division and Rescue (EMS) Division vehicles, including small gas engines and other associated equipment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include but are not limited to the following. Other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Service, repair, adjust and test all engines, motors, moving parts and equipment.
- Inspect equipment or materials to identify the cause of problems or defects.
- Perform routine maintenance on equipment and determine when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Inspect, repair, and maintain mechanical equipment.
- Raise trucks and heavy parts, or equipment using hydraulic jacks or hoists.
- Recondition and replace parts, pistons, bearings, gears, and valves.
- Troubleshoot operation problems and determine plan of action to remedy problems.
- Install equipment, etc. to meet specifications.
- Complete all necessary paperwork, as required.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to create standard correspondence. Ability to effectively and concisely present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers and other employees. Ability to work from oral and written instructions. Proficient verbal communication skills, in English, are required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Three (3) + years of experience in automotive mechanical maintenance.
- ASE and EVT preferred but not required. Must be willing to obtain an ASE/EVT certification in at least two areas, or complete within 18 months.
- Heavy Equipment Mechanic is preferred.
- CDL preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of up-to-date methods of maintaining autos, trucks and emergency vehicles.
- Knowledge of operating principles and maintenance of gasoline and diesel-powered engines.
(Comparable amount of training, education, or experience may be substituted for the above minimum requirements.)
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to apply concepts of basic mathematics.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common-sense understanding to carry out instructions in written and oral form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variances in standardized situations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- HEAVY WORK: Lifting 100 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Frequent lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, stooping, kneeling, crawling, climbing, and balancing.
- WORK POSITION: Sitting 10%, standing 70% and walking 20%
- WORK CONDITIONS: Spends approximately 75% of the time outdoors.
EEO STATEMENT: Ten-8 Fire & Safety provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
DRUG FREE WORKPLACE: Ten-8 Fire & Safety is committed to protecting the safety, health and wellbeing of all employees and other individuals in our workplace. As a condition of employment, employees are required to participate in pre-employment drug screening.