The service technician is responsible for dianosing faults, making adjustments, and repairing deficiencies on fire trucks and other emergency vehciles. This is a non-exempt position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Service, repair, adjust and test all engines, motors, moving parts and equipment.
- Inspect equipment or materials to identify the cause of problems or defects.
- Perform routine maintenance on equipment and determine when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Inspect, repair, and maintain mechanical equipment.
- Raise trucks and heavy parts, or equipment using hydraulic jacks or hoists.
- Recondition and replace parts, pistons, bearings, gears, and valves.
- Troubleshoot operation problems and determine plan of action to remedy problems.
- Install equipment, etc. to meet specifications.
- Complete all necessary paperwork, as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Ability to work under limited supervision
- Must be dependable
- Excellent customer service skills, both verbal and written
- Must assume responsibility for high quality of repair process
- Must have the ability to work independently or with less supervision
- Should have excellent verbal communication skills
- Must be able to speak proficient English
- Must have the ability to work under pressure
Education and Experience
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required
- EVT (Emergency Vehicle Technician) and ASE Heavy Truck Certifications are preferred
- 3-5 years in the automotive or truck repair business
- Knowledge of repair principles, tools, and procedures in all areas of the Heavy Truck Repair Industry
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is required to stand and walk over 90% of work time. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.