Fabricator / Welder Apprentice
The fabricator/welder apprentice will join, fabricate, and repair metal and other weldable material by applying appropriate welding techniques. He/she will will interpret blueprints, specifications, diagrams, or schematics to determine an appropriate welding process. To ensure quality, the apprentice will inspects completed welds to determine structural soundness. This position is non-exempt.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the disassembly, repair and reassembly of vehicles that have been in accidents.
- Fabricate vehicle body parts and brackets out of aluminum and steel.
- Work with the body/paint technician to repair vehciles to a like-new condition.
- Design, fabricate, join, fit/tack, and repair equipment, fixtures and various types of metal objects and structures using various welding techniques.
- Operate drill presses, power saws, grinders and a variety of welding equipment and hand tools.
- Welds components in flat, vertical, or overhead positions.
- Analyzes plans, drawings, work samples, specifications, and work orders to determine work requirements and sequence of welding assignments/techniques.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Have knoweldge of welding techniques, tools and equipment.
- Use proper safety and protective equipment utilized during welding assignments
- Have automotive/mechanical experience.
- Prior experience with metal fabrication.
- Skills in the fabrication, joining and repair of a variety of metal objects, equipment, fixtures and structures.
- Strong math skills required to be used in measuring the work process.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Completion of an accredited welder’s training program and two years of welding experience
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is required to stand/walk 95% of work time. The employee must frequently lift and/or move 25 to 50 pounds frequently. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. About 75% of teh workday is spent outside.